COMPANY FOR THE JOURNEY




Walking down the train station stairs, my mind was suddenly overcome with a conversation I'd rather not entertain. I looked to my right and Discouragement, dressed up for the snow, looked up at me. Feeling awkward, I looked away, not in the mood for these negative thoughts, and trying to avoid a huge snow pile before crossing the street, I looked to my left and saw Disappointment, hands in pockets, walking alongside as well. 

"You're not going to get the job."
"That was a horrible answer you gave the interviewer."
"Over qualified. Who wants to hire someone as old as you?"
"What a waste of time, I tell you, what a waste of time!"

The argument between Discouragement and Disappointment went back and forth, keeping me in the middle. No matter how quickly I tried to step up to pass them, they'd catch up to my side, louder still. 

"You're not good enough."
"This is all because you messed up before and now look at you."
"It's all your fault."
"Hopeless. This is all a mess."



Stepping over some snow hills, I find myself looking at a deep puddle where snow and ice have melted, making a pretty nice pond. Trying to ignore the negative words being thrown at me from both sides, I sigh and say a prayer.

"Lord, silence these voices of fear and hopelessness. My heart waits on You and I chose to believe you have my back. Surround me Lord with your favor and make a way."

Standing still, waiting for the light to turn green, I suddenly realize that Discouragement is having a hard time speaking. I look to my left and smile as I see Hope and Faith, walking on my left, broad shoulders and gigantic forms like linemen at my side, not letting anyone come near me. I smile and know that I have to look to my right side because this looks like answered prayer. As if I were holding a football and ready to run, I see Courage and Endurance on my right, powerful full backs covering me, covering my ears to the voices of despair and regret. Desperation and Discouragement retreat behind me. "Go! Go!" is all I hear.

You would think I am the running back in the game of life, running with all my might to go home. I am determined, sure and confident that I will not fail. You see, God knows when to open doors and when to close them. He knows my future. I seek His will and not mine. With Hope, Faith, Courage and Endurance surrounding me, I boldly push forward and refuse to look back. As I get to the corner and turn towards my home, I see Victory, the tallest lineman of them all, powerfully at my side, running with me and smiling. I've said "I" and "Me", but I want to add you to this story, too. This is our story. Many of us face these battles daily.

Heaven is cheering me on. Heaven is cheering you on! You might be facing discouragement, hard decisions, and life choices that leave you tired and wondering if you've done the right thing. Remind those thoughts that come to weigh you down that you're not going to listen, and look around you to see that God has sent angels to guard you and get you to the finish line. You are not alone. I pray your eyes are opened and you will see God is with you and sending the help you need for each day's situation.



2 Kings 6:15-17
New International Version (NIV)
15 When the servant of the man of God got up and went out early the next morning, an army with horses and chariots had surrounded the city. “Oh no, my lord! What shall we do?” the servant asked.
16 “Don’t be afraid,” the prophet answered. “Those who are with us are more than those who are with them.”
17 And Elisha prayed, “Open his eyes, Lord, so that he may see.” Then the Lord opened the servant’s eyes, and he looked and saw the hills full of horses and chariots of fire all around Elisha.


Comments