God's Hand, On Me, Once More

My personal journey of what took place in my life, on my face, and how the Lord has been at work in me, 
by Angeline M Duran Santiago



I've gone through a silent moment. I wanted to write something worthwhile and something that would be a blessing. I started a story and got hit with writer's block. I didn't imagine I'd have something so hard to write about so quickly, but here it goes.....



In my busy life, in the stress of every day, I found myself going through something I didn't believe could happen to me. 
Some might say I should be embarrassed to show my photos or share this story, but I believe this is my declaration of what God has done, can do and will continue to do when we place our faith in Him.

This photo of Frankie and I was taken just a few days before my nervous system decided to go whacko on me. I took it and uploaded it on to Facebook to share how he had proposed all over again.


At work, my colleagues asked, "Angie, what's wrong with your eye?" I didn't take time to go look in the mirror and blamed it to playing with the kids. Got on the train without a second thought and by the time I was home, my eye was not the only thing of concern. My face had changed into something from a movie and I couldn't explain what was going on.

I went from heat, to numbness, to heaviness, and a deep pain in my eye. My left eye began to get heavy also. I had a very strong headache. My daughter told me to go to the hospital, but I was imagined this would go away. I took some Alleve and decided to wait. Yes, I hear you yelling at me and pointing your finger at me. I was wrong to wait. You're right! I awoke to the scariest face looking back at me in the mirror and I ended up having to go get checked right away. My face on the right side decided to flop downward into a droopy state, closing my eye almost completely, and rendering that side of my face with barely any feeling.


The urgent care told me to see a Neurologist right away and well, I think I should've gone to the Emergency Room, but, well, in desperation of the unknown, I followed her recommendation. My first doctor said it looked like something Bell's Palsy and the Neurologist confirmed it. My nerves were breakdancing inside of me and I couldn't make them stop.


The questions began. How long has your face
been this way? When did you first notice it? I never imagined I needed to look in the mirror and start counting the hours. The questions were to give me hope. The truth is, I remember going to work and being told something looked wrong, but I never gave it mind. So, I was told, if I took a round of medication before 72 hours, there might be hope to restore my face. If not, well, I was going to be like this for a long time. Even with medication, I was told I would be this way for about two to eight weeks. 



You got it. I started wondering...What about work? What do I do on the train? Lord, why? Lord, you got this one too, right? Lord, you're gonna have to help me with this because I look horrible. I work with children and how can I even show up to work like this?


Well, I began to pray. I asked my family to pray. I took the anointed oil and placed it on my face and although I know it is just a symbol, I used it quoting the scriptures, "Is there any among you that is sick?....anoint them with oil in the name of the Lord." James 5:14

I was disoriented for a short while. The doctors wondered if I had experienced a stroke. I placed myself in God's hands because I had no one else to run to. 



It's been a week  and as I put on some lipstick, I realized my smile was almost perfect, straight again, me again. I share the photos of me during the changes not to glorify the symptoms, but to magnify God's greatness. You see, I was told that I wouldn't see a change right away, and yet, I began to see a change on day two, and a truly noticeable change by Sunday. 


Today, it's been a whole week and a day. What can I say but, "Lord, there is none like you!"
Will this return? I don't know. The only thing I do know is that if and when it returns, I will continue to surrender it all into God's care. 


Lord, You are my Healer. I place my life, my heart, and every part of my body, inside and out, into your care. You are my strength, my hope and the One I hope in.

Am I completely healed? Well, the photos show there's still some way to go, but oh, what a change! My face is about 90 % back to how it should be and regardless of what happens, I know my Lord God is able to do great and mighty things in my life!



Comments