When I Am Afraid

Related image

Fear has a way of creeping into our life. It comes to paralyze us and make us believe it is more powerful than faith. Faith pushes us to step out in to the unknown, no matter how fearful we may be. Faith invites us to jump into the arms of God’s love and confess that we will trust Him, no matter what we see or what we experience.

It is in those moments when we are facing really tough decisions and really hard moments in our lives that we have to make the choice of what we will embrace. It is easy to allow fear to sit by our side and keep us company, agree with everything we say and even offer us the tissue box so we can dry our tears. Or, we can choose our words carefully. Our words can be powerful declarations that spark faith not only into our own hearts and minds but into the heart and mind of those around us.

This reminder has been coming to me these past few weeks. The days have been trying and many times I’ve been afraid to think of what lies ahead of me. The unexpected can leave our sight blurry. But, faith brings clarity when we see the Rock, when we see that we can completely cling and wrap our arms around that Rock that represents our mighty God. The waves can crash against us when we are holding on, but the rock is not slippery and we are not afraid to fall into the depths of the ocean because He is higher, He is stronger and He is helping me hold on.
When I am afraid I will trust in You
When I'm overcome I will cling onto
The Rock that is higher, He's higher
The Rock that is higher

When my enemy's too strong for me
I don't know how to fight the fear
That comes against my heart and mind
I call upon the name of Christ


I not only love the reminder in this song to hold on to the Lord with all my might, I love knowing that the scriptures are filled with reminders of what to do when my heart feels like giving up. Many times I’ve wondered, “Lord, until how long do I put up with this or keep holding on?” His word reminds me to call out to Him, be fearless and hold on to Him. What an amazing reality for us to have.


Psalm 61:2 New International Version (NIV)
From the ends of the earth I call to you,
    I call as my heart grows faint;
    lead me to the rock that is higher than I.


Image result for black and white scripture images, when I am afraid

Can you see this image with your eyes? Can you see yourself totally full of fear because of your enemies and/or your difficult situation and then hear the Lord reminding you to hold on to Him. With all my might, Lord, I will hold on to You. I will call upon your powerful name, your wonderful name, Jesus! Lead me to You, always. Fear has no place in our lives.

By Angeline Duran Santiago

Comments