OUR CHILDREN WILL REMEMBER


      I was in my bedroom, folding clothes and putting them away. The sounds of my boys working out in the living room were loud enough that I could hear them in the room. The thumps of jumping and the boom of going down to the floor sounded loud and clear. My older son, Aaron, was the "Coach". Jacob jumped, squatted, ran and did push ups, all counting along with his best brother. 

     Suddenly, it got quiet and all I heard was talking. I thought I heard something familiar, so I stopped what I was doing and sat up to listen on the bed. As I attempted to listen, the "Coach" resumed instructing his faithful student on what to do and how many times. 

     They had grabbed my attention and I decided to stay still, leave the clothes alone for a few minutes, and wait to see if the silence came again. Just as I was about to say, "Forget it. Maybe I heard wrong.", silence filled the house, and the words came out again. This time, I stood up quietly, and walked near the other rooms to listen in on the boys. 

     An immense joy overtook my heart, and I guess unless you're the kind of parent that believes in raising your children with Godly principles and values, you would think my extremely silly and ignorant to delight in what I heard. You see, when they took their quick break, Aaron was speaking out verses from the book of Proverbs and Ecclesiastes. He was quoting scripture that he believed Jacob needed to hear and learn. 

     I stopped what I was doing and slowly, awkwardly, pretending to be unseen, walked into the living room and sat on one of the recliners. As I sat there, they continued and I inwardly rejoiced and thanked God for his goodness. Before me flashed memories, as if a movie in front of me, of nights sitting with my children on their beds, reading the Bible and discussing what it meant. Pictures of them falling asleep with the Bible on their bed or under their pillow passed by. I saw a time when my brother, Tito, had created a copy of the book or Proverbs and given it to the kids to read. Memories of my mom sharing about God's great plan for their lives slowly moved through this memory video.




     Our job is not to drill our kids to learn how many books are in the Bible in order. I'm sorry, but even learning which is the smallest verse in the Bible is not the main purpose of scripture. Too many parents take their kids to church but never share the Good News Message. So we have churches filled with children who are clueless to the treasures hidden and awaiting in Scripture. We have Christian families who claim to be Christian but don't even know how to read the Bible at home, only at church.




And that from a child thou hast known 
the holy scriptures, which are able to make thee wise unto salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 2 Timothy 3:15

     We are called to shine a light on the Word of God and guide our children to meditate on it, then pray. If they don't know the real message God wants to give us, why even bother having a bible? 
We have been called to teach our children the standards of Godly living. We are called to ignite in our children a desire to know God, to hunger after his truths and his promises, to seek in the Word the answers for their questions, and have God's Word tattooed inside their hearts.



     My children are not perfect and I would never claim them to be without mistakes. They are just like every other child or young adult, discovering their world and testing the waters. But today I saw proof of what I always hope for and wonder about. What we have instilled in them from birth is still there, blossoming and coming out a little at a time. 

     Lord, today I ask you to help us as parents to continue sharing our understanding of scripture with our children. Give us wisdom to explain and answer their easiest and most challenging questions. I ask that your word would be a light to our path, but also a light in our children that grows and shines bright in their lives. Empower us as parents to be examples of your love, of forgiveness, and being genuine. Engrave in their hearts and minds the evidence of your love and let them experience your presence like never before, daily. Let us never be a stumbling block to hinder them in coming to you. Lord, forgive us for our many mistakes and for wrong choices. Forgive us for times of messing up and being hurtful with our words and choices. Extend your mercy and your grace towards our families and help us to live our lives for you. In Jesus Name, Amen.


  All your children shall be taught 
by the LORD, and great shall be 
the peace of your children.

Isaiah 54:13

Comments