Learning To LIsten


By Angeline M Duran Santiago

We're a people that loves to communicate via technology. We rarely speak on the phone. We text. Gone are the days where we just took the time to write a letter because we can see one another through a chat room in so many different ways. Talk, talk and talk some more but we rarely take the time to listen and really hear what others are saying.

I've been learning more on listening. It's taken me a hundred years to get it right, or at least try to, and here I am, working on my listening skills. I'm one of those persons that is quick to think and voice a response, or is it, while I"m listening, I'm ready to say my part as well? What I want to say is that I know the Lord has truly been dealing with me with really stopping myself from listening to someone but already have my mind a million seconds at a time thinking on what to say and how to say it. The Lord has been teaching me to hush, and shush, and be patient. Even if I know the response is wrong and I'm going crazy inside wanting to speak out, many times, yes, many times, the Lord has been telling me to just be silent. And, wow, is that hard to do.


It's not just at home and it's not just a work. It's in my personal time with the Lord. He's teaching me to listen and learn to listen to His Voice, His leading and His presence involved in  my life in every area. I believe that we are so busy with life and we are so tied up with our daily schedules, that we can schedule every moment of our lives, including using the restroom, but we cannot fit the Lord into our daily planner, weekly schedule or even weekend time. We're tired. We're exhausted. We're busy.

I'm learning that He desires time with me and that I need to long for that time with him as well. Just like we need to eat each day, and at different moments of the day, so we also need to nourish our lives with the Word of the Lord and with times of seeking and meditating on the Lord. I know it can seem so hard and overwhelming. But, it's in our pushing ourselves, disciplining ourselves and making it a part of our lives that we can truly be close enough to the Lord to listen.


I want to listen. I want to hear His voice and not just suppose or assume I heart or I know what He says. I want to be confident and assured of His guidance for all these hard moments that keep showing up at my door. I want to know His will so that I can successfully go about my Father's business and do what I am supposed to do. I've made enough mistakes and I'm through with making wrong decisions all because I rushed through a moment of crisis or couldn't wait on the Lord.

Listening.
I'm asking the Lord to fine tune my ears so that His voice is clear. I want to have the right connection with my Heavenly Father, no static and no interruptions. I want the Spirit of the Lord to be free to speak into my life while I sleep and while I am walking to the train station.


Listening.
I am still a student and I believe I will forever be a child sitting at my Father's feet because I want to learn more, I want to grow and be able to experience all He has for me and see all He has for my family. It's where my heart is tonight and where I hope the Lord finds me each day. Lord, let my life, my hearing and my mind be ever ready to receive your words, for they alone are life.

Comments