Lessons Learned on the Dance Floor


By Angeline M Duran Santiago


A few days ago someone asked me what is something I've learned as a person who dances for the Lord. There are so many things I could have shared and I shared some of the deepest moments in my life. Those were times of intense intercession and meeting with the Lord, on the dance floor. Those were times of surrendering my innermost struggles and experiencing the breakthrough power of a Mighty and Loving God, on the dance floor.

Once I was home, I started thinking about the question and I began to think back to my early years as someone who was dancing unto the Lord. I remember a wedding I was asked to dance in. My task was to begin the wedding, introduce the event, with a worship. I remember times of prayer and truly asking the Lord to do something special so that the atmosphere in the church was completely filled with the Spirit of the Lord. The church building was very cold and I began to feel feverish. Still, I waited for the moment to come out, and with chills and not feeling great, I began to bring forth a worship, an invitation to the Lord to come and fill that event.


Here's what I learned that day. When the wedding was over and we were heading towards the banquet hall, I heard some of the leaders in the church speaking in Spanish. It was then I heard one of the women angrily say, "That dance was completely done in the flesh! How could she have been allowed to dance?"

My heart became heavy and in my silence I went before the Lord. I examined my heart and searched to see where I could have failed and where I had not given my all to the Lord. It was later on that I was told that everyone knew how cold I was. Finding it strange, I asked how that could be. It was explained to me that my bra had no done the task to offer full coverage. It was then I understood how I was labeled all the horrible things I was labeled. 



This event gave me the opportunity to learn two things. One, always wear a extra support and heavy padded chest undergarment under my layers. We may prepare and think we're fully covered and appearing in modesty but there are cases where things can happen. It's best to be extra clothes, then have something see through sheer or body part bouncing out of place. No one, especially those in church who will never see us with the eyes of the Lord, should be given any extra opportunity to speak negatively about our dance before the Lord. Don't just go out with a skirt or a dress. Wear the correct underclothes. Remember, you are representing the King of Kings as a worshipper, in priestly garments, ready to praise and do war with your dance.

My heart has always been to make sure there is no focus on my body or the imperfections in me, but that the eyes are on the expressions and movements I make to tell the story of God's love, his power and his plan for all who say, "Yes!" to him.

The other lesson I learned was nothing new, but it was confirmed that day. We live, breathe and move for the Lord. Anyone that says they're a dancer is seeking and desiring to worship, to pray and do what they do, as I always say, for the Audience of One, the I Am, El Shaddai and My Savior. It's not about what pleasing people, looking for their approval and their recognition. The moment our dance and our ministry becomes about pleasing the "in" crowd, the "right" ministers or getting  the applause, we are one more empty shell, a mere carcass with enough fuel to move around like a rag doll that solicits the praise of men, but have lost the grace and favor of God's loving face.


I learned that my eyes belong on Jehovah. My goal is to please Him and Him alone. I learned that you can sacrifice yourself, but few really appreciate. You may make the effort to minister while feeling ill, leave your sick child with family in order to be supportive or show you can be relied on, but someone will always find an error or a reason to speak negatively. I learned that as long as I've placed the Lord first in all I do, only how He sees me matters to me. Your outfit will not be right, your something will make them talk because their eyes and their heart is not seeking the Lord and saying, "Lord, use this dancer and speak into my life." 

I learned to listen to the Lord for the songs, the movement, even if I danced alone. And, this is why, I may not be where I once was, but I am happy where I am, because all I have ever desired is to be in His will. And that's a great place to be.


Comments