ASKING HUSBANDS THE POPULAR QUESTION, "DO YOU LOVE ME?"

After finishing a phone conversation with someone, the following scripture filled my mind and I saw it in a completely new way. I hope you let me share what was on my mind as I walked to the train station. I was blown away with how the Lord works. 


John 21 NIV

15 When they had finished eating, Jesus said to Simon Peter, “Simon son of John, do you love me more than these?”
“Yes, Lord,” he said, “you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my lambs.”
16 Again Jesus said, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
He answered, “Yes, Lord, you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Take care of my sheep.”
17 The third time he said to him, “Simon son of John, do you love me?”
Peter was hurt because Jesus asked him the third time, “Do you love me?” He said, “Lord, you know all things; you know that I love you.”
Jesus said, “Feed my sheep.




I know that lambs are considered the babies, less than a year (12 months) and sheep are the older, a year or older ones. Allow me to consider for a moment that, instead of referring to this passage as usually, in regards to the pastor and the church, or leaders being mentors, can I present it to you as a husband before the Lord? Can I show you what took place in my mind for a few minutes. If you can see the lambs as the children in a relationship, and the sheep as the older person in that family of great significance, like a wife or a husband. Stay with me. I promise you, I won't be long and I believe this will make you think about what it means to say, "I love you."



We take the idea of saying, "I love you." for granted, I think. Here Jesus is asking, "Do you love me?" and I can turn it around into a woman, a wife, perhaps a wife that has gone through a lot in her marriage, forgiving his mess ups and trying to start over. I can see her in a room with her husband asking, "Do you love me?" He'll answer quickly, "You know I do." Her response..."Feed (provide for, nourish, be an example to) our children. 


Again, through the struggle to hold on to this relationship, she comes to him again, "Do you love me?" And once more, he is quick to respond, "Yes, you know I love you." This time, she says, "What about me? Take care of me. Be there for me. Love me. Protect me. Shield me from the storm. Hide me in your shadow. Help me."


The last time, the wife is asking again. Now the husband is hurt. "She's questioning my love. She's doubting my love." But, he listens. "Do you love me?" she asks him one last time.
"With hurt in his voice, remembering times and times again he has failed her and their children, the many times he's gone astray and done wrong, he answers, "Yes, I love you. You know I do. I'm still here."
The Scriptures say that the Lord told Peter the last time, "Feed my sheep."
I would dare and say that this can be the Lord calling the leader of the home to be accountable for what has been given to him. "Feed (Nourish, Take care of, Give to) your wife." 



If you really love her, just like God would go out of his way for one lost sheep, go out of your way for your wife. Didn't you go crazy trying to win her and then find the courage to propose? Didn't you promise to be there for her? If you truly love her, then there should be no pretenses, no excuses, no slacking off from being the Godly leader you've been called to be.

"Feed my sheep."
Take care of the wife and children God has given you. Fight for them. Pray for them. Pray with them. Let them see ME in YOU. Praise me without fear or shame in front of them. Teach them about ME. Protect them. Allow them to know what it means to be safe, secure and sheltered in the presence of a man that loves God above all else. 


"Do you love me, Peter?"
"Yes, Lord, You know I do."
The Lord is asking, "Do you love me?" and then he gives a directive. "Go take care and feed my lambs and my sheep."
Dear men, what are you doing with your family?
Your son needs you. He's stuck and needs your advice. Your daughter is hurt and needs her daddy again. You son needs to see what a father is like and learn from you. Your children need you to take your place.



This was the question in my mind as I walked to the train station and I had to share. Rise up, men of the Lord, and be true men of God and godliness. Do not be half hearted or fake. The Lord knows you, and your family knows the real you. Begin anew and take heart to the Lord's challenge to be there for your family. I hope you're challenged by my interpretation of this scripture. 

Blessings and love to all.




Comments