DRAWING MY CIRCLES AND PRAYING THROUGH


See the source image


By Angeline M Duran Santiago

There's been a lot, maybe just too much going on and the truth is a person can come to a place of just being exhausted from the daily grind, the routines, the worry and the wonder of what to do next. Life has not been easy. It's been the perfect fairy tale, complete with trolls and dragons, but also with the hope of the happily ever after. For the Christian, well, we hold on to the hope of our lives spent with Our Heavenly Father when the end of our days come. We also work out our salvation by seeking to walk closely and in a relationship with the Lord Jesus Christ, getting to an intimate place where He is truly genuine in our lives and not just something or someone we read about.

We face hardship daily. At home and at work, on the road or wherever we are, there is the potential of drama, heartache, disappointment and pain. I've felt such a dry season lately that I knew the only way to be immersed in the fountain of life giving waters was to change what I was currently doing in my routines of living for God. There has to be more because He is more. He is truth and reality for us so it has to be more in us to push forward and fight this battle through.

The Circle Maker  -     By: Mark Batterson
Some time back, my daughter introduced me to a great book, "The Circle Maker" by Mark Batterson. The story captivated me and reminded me of the awesome and powerful God we serve. I enjoyed the book and moved on to the next book as a lover of books will usually do.

Regardless whether I believed his outlook on what to do with the story he shared about the circle maker or if I felt he was theologically correct, there is something I believe anyone who reads the book should focus on and it's that when a person prays, God moves on our behalf. When we believe, God responds. It may not be the way it happened in the book, but God does move mountains in our lives, sometimes bigger than life and sometimes small. God will respond by answering the prayer of by standing by our side as we face our fears and trials.

On a crazy day, seeking a book for my niece, I found a book of prayer, "could it be part 2?" and I chose to buy it because the title was a 40 day prayer challenge based on the first book I had ready, The Circle Maker. I already hear you and you're correct. I don't need a book to remind me about prayer and challenge me to get it together. But, do we truly always know how to pray and what to pray for? Have I missed something or have I learned it all? Absolutely no and never. I am and will always be teachable and ready to learn at the feet of the Lord. I want more of His presence and this has to be what I need.

I got the book, "Draw the Circle" by Mark Batterson. I'm not promoting the book, the author and his ministry. I don't' know him and have only just begun the daily readings. This is what I've gotten so far as I've gone through the book:

1. I can't do it alone. I need to find another crazy person to do this whole prayer challenge with me. So, poor mom, always my  victim, got inducted into this prayer challenge and she of course said, "Yes!" So, we have begun this prayer challenge together, one day at a time. We have so much to pray for and we're always talking about praying and seeking the Lord so here's a book to get us to do more.

2. I'm entering this in a new way without all the lists of how to pray or what to pray. I'm going to learn to listen to the Holy Spirit because I need something new and real from my Heavenly Father.

3. As if I don't enjoy writing, I get to journal and write down everything, anything or nothing at all. I've always done this before but now, well, I'm accountable to each day's challenge. I'm going to try, even when it seems there's no time, to read, to pray, to seek the Lord, and to surrender each day til all this world and my family sees is someone who is real in Christ. I want others to not have to wonder if I am real or if I serve Christ. But, I want the Lord to flow our of my life and be poured into others without me having to say anything at all. I want to love even those that are so hard to love at times. I want more of God's love and presence in my life. The challenge has been accepted.

This is my small sharing not because I need you to know what I'm up to but because maybe this book or another book is an idea  to motivate and get you back on track as a believer. Maybe life is hitting you hard and you're falling apart. Maybe your prayer life is almost zero but you go crazy telling people about your relationship with the Lord and you know deep inside you're a mess. 

I hope that on those days I share with you about this challenge or this journey that you will be inspired to pray, to read the scriptures and fall in love with the Lord in a new way. May we find refreshing in His Word and renewal in His presence. 

So, once more please know that I am not saying this book is the key or the magic door to solving life's problems. I am only sharing what I know we all need to do, and that is Pray. So, why not see where this book takes Mom and I? Maybe you'll end up getting the book also or another book on prayer and I hope the encouragement to pray takes you deeper in the Lord and strengthens your faith. With  love to all, I will share soon.

Comments